The Whitefish Disc Federation LLC (WDF) has been established to manage and maintain the public Smith Lake Disc Golf Course located at the north end of Whitefish Lake.
The Smith Lake Disc Golf Course is part of the Montana Trust Lands where money generated by the land is used by our public school system. We’re officially moving forward with the course and are now looking for sponsorship and donations. Please help us out today, it’s a win win for our community and our schools. It’s a great recreation opportunity for people of all ages and sizes and the money we raise for annual fees goes to our schools.
- In cooperation with the State of Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conversation rebuild and establish a new disc golf course near Smith Lake with rubber disc golf t-pads and official targets.
- Create a safe playing environment through better hole spacing and course signage.
- Educate players to help keep the course clean and reduce environmental impacts from the activity.
- Raise enough money annually to keep the course open and operating.
Our base cost annually will be $2000, which includes our licensing fee and insurance. In our first year we face extra challenges of also raising $2500 for a required bond fee and close to $10,000 for equipment. We can use your help and there are a couple ways to help out:
- Adopt a Hole – Our Adopt a Hole program is a way to sponsor the equipment we need to build a hole. Individuals and businesses that Adopt a Hole will have a medallion at the t-box of each hole with your name or your business name on it. We’d do even more but this is what the State of Montana allows in our lease. Your information will also be listed at our course kiosk as an original contributor and participant of the Adopt a Hole program. For $525 you’ll be helping us buy one DGA Mach III basket ($350), a thick high traction rubber t-pad, materials for a custom t-sign, a sleeve for the basket (to hold it in the round), and any additional signage the hole may require. With a 100 people a day playing at the current course get your business noticed and gain disc golfer loyalty today in our Adopt a Hole Program!
- Make a donation of any amount through PayPal. If a 100 players just pitched in $20 a year we’d reach most our annual base expense costs! Help us today with a donation for our annual fee, our insurance, and our initial bond we’ll have to put up of $2500. Every dollar helps so please donate!!!
- Get Involved! – Once we enter into agreement with the State of Montana over the next few weeks we’ll still have to get the exact final layout approved and address any issues the State brings up. With the fire season of 2017 raging it’s hard to say when this will be. We hope this year. Our goal is to get the final layout approved and hopefully some tree removal and t-box construction done before the snow flies or the ground freezes up. Five of the holes have side-hill t-boxes and will require building up a retaining wall. We hope to use the down trees we remove from the fairways as lumber for the retaining walls. Please stay in touch with our Facebook page as it seems the best place to keep updates. Once we are approved we’ll need people with heart that want to help us with t-box construction, mostly down tree removal, heavy duty weed whacking, hole digging for the targets, sign construction, and trail building between the holes.
The WDF is flat out excited to finally show out community what a great disc golf course can bring to everyone. Please help us in this great endeavor and donate today!